Saturday, November 13, 2010

Finally a day off

And I'm getting back to normal-ness.  So I'm sewing today and having a grand time.

The Charity Quilts committee was contacted by the charity we support, and they are in need of bed covers, primarily twin size.  It's a domestic violence shelter, and unfortunately it's has a full house, of late. I sent out an "all points bulletin" on the guild mailing list asking for anyone to help - have one that's done? Willing to take a top, batting, back, and finish it? Have a new store bought quilt or comforter hanging around? We'll make it get to the right place. A few members have stepped up and I'm thrilled.

I was putting together a couple of kits for my volunteers. We have so many pretty quilt tops just waiting to be finished! One person is coming momentarily to pick up two kits. I might do one myself, but I have some other sewing projects I need to get working on.

My projects are some doll clothes for my niece and a quilt for one of my dearest friends. Since I will be here for Thanksgiving with no plans, I hope to make a lot of progress on these projects.

For the doll clothes, I picked up McCall's 5775 and I picked out a few remnants from the bin to use. I found some microsuede in a dark teal color for 60% off in the bin, and I'm planning to make the trench coat out of it. I also found some poly-knit that will make some nice leggings and a T shirt. At the Kyoto fabric shop I found some adorable tiny appliques of Hello Kitty that are planned for the T shirt fronts. I also plan to make a pair of slacks and the long tunic top.  Maybe the handbag - that looks easy.

I should mention that my niece has two dolls. I need to make 2 of everything - matchy, or not.

It's a fun little project and I'm excited about doing it. I hope it goes well - I have not sewn doll clothes since I was a child, and I would consider that activity the loosest interpretation of the word "sew."  More like cut and glue.

No comments: