Sunday, January 31, 2010

On this blog...

I recently posted a link to my blog on a contest (to made over the blog). In early December, I told a few people about my blog, including the address. I am slowly going public with this thing.

It makes me feel insecure. I have posted my deep and intimate feelings on occasion over the years, mainly because I needed to get them out somewhere. I do prefer typing to writing, even though I value the handwritten word. This blog has been a part of my therapy.

By posting the link, I become a more public figure. OK, I'm still somewhat anonymous. However, a blog is fairly important to an online presence, for those that are established in the net-world. I am trying to do this with my little shop, so it stands to reason I should link my blog to my shop and use both to advertise, market and build customer base.

I am conflicted, though. I like my blog as relatively private and anonymous, and I like the ability to talk about all aspects of my life. I am the common thread. If I want to use it as a marketing tool, I should focus on my creative endeavors. I mean, when Julie wrote her blog about cooking Julia Child's recipes, she didn't weigh it down with mundanities of her job or her non-cooking pursuits. That way, she kept her readership. Makes sense.

The logical solution is to make a new blog with a focus, expressly for marketing.

Oy. I don't want another blog! Like I said, it's hard enough to post to this on a semi-regular basis. I don't think I have that much to say! Serious bloggers post every day. Serious marketers tweet every hour.

I can't deal with that kind of commitment!!

Additionally, I have grown my own personal identity as "The Thoughtful Quilter." It's about me, all of me, everything in my life. It shifts focus as I do. It gives me pause to think of splitting off part of that identity to another blog.

Eh, think on it some more.

No comments: