Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September Guild Meeting

Guild meets on the first Tuesday of the month, which was yesterday.

This month we had another national speaker, Sue Nickels, along with a workshop. She was a very professional speaker and gave a delightful talk on her collaborative process with her sister, Pat Holly. I also took the workshop, learning her precise technique for machine applique. It was fun, and it gave me an excuse for buying a new foot for my sewing machine. Sue Nickels is a skilled teacher. She has a good set up for learning and demonstrating and she explains techniques clearly.

For me, it was a long day. I had to pack up the car with my supplies for the meeting. I picked up Ms. Nickels and her stuff at the hotel, I had to g buy lunch for her between meeting and workshop, I coordinated the workshop (and was expected to know everything about table set up, lighting, extension cords, supplies etc.). I made sure the room was cleaned up after the conclusion of the workshop, and I did a lot of the clean up. I packed up the car again and drove her back to the hotel. I organized dinner and went out to dinner with her (and another guild member), then dropped her off at the hotel again.

At least I didn't have to get her to and from the airport. Thank goodness we have a committee! Whew! It was a full 12 hour day!

Yes, it was fun, and I'm getting more relaxed about the meetings I am involved in running. (Usually I am anxious and stressed about the meeting, worrying that everything is running alright.) I enjoyed getting to know Sue a little more personally; this is one of the perqs of being on the program committee. I ate too much at dinner, but boy was it good - we went to The Elephant Bar.

(They have these new "mini" desserts for only $2.95. They are anything but "mini" in size. I had the red velvet cupcake with ice cream. Yum-o.)

Now, if I can only get a project completed for guild!

I was mortified to see one of my fellow guild members had actually completed an Aunt Millie's Garden quilt! That is the pattern I am laboring so slowly over! Oh I am humbled, I tell you. At least that other guild member chose a different background than I am using, and by the time I get mine finished, everyone will have forgotten that my project is a repeat.

I still love this hobby.

No comments: