Monday, October 4, 2010

Lost in Translation

I am back from Japan.

It was another successful trip, but it wasn't as magical as the first one in 2008, I'm sad to admit.

First, we hit a very rainy two weeks, and we were not prepared for the cool rainy weather. I had tank tops, crop pants and skirts, and only one long sleeve shirt and one pair of long pants. I had a scarf (just-in-case) and I ended up having to wear it almost every day. We had to buy umbrellas and rain jackets, and I got frustrated being cold and wet all of the time. My sneakers and lower pant legs got soaked.

It rained on our day at Tokyo Disney Sea park. It rained on our day at Tokyo Disneyland. It rained on our travel day to Nikko. It rained in Nikko. It clouded up on our trip to Hakone. It rained all day on our day in Hakone, ruining any chance to see the spectacular views of Mt. Fuji from the Hakone sites. (Heck, on the ropeway in Hakone, we couldn't even see the ground from all the fog and mist.)

It was finally nice for our day in Kyoto, but then it clouded up on our trip back from Kyoto to Narita Airport in Tokyo.

No fair.

This time, we took the Intrepid Japan Basix trip. The destinations were more mainstream, more touristy, therefore less exotic. In fact, I didn't have to use a single squat toilet the whole time - I could have, but there was always a western style toilet available.

The exchange rate is pathetic for the US dollar (approx 83 yen per dollar), so it was an expensive trip.

Nevertheless, it was fun and I got to see some wonderful and very Japanese things. The guide for the Intrepid tour was really good.

I did not get to go to the onsen, which was a big disappointment. I got my "monthly" while on the trip (which was expected) but it came a bit early. The general consensus on the Internet was that it was tacky and kinda gross to use a public bath while menstruating, even if you use internal protection. Just to add insult to injury, my period rendered me achy and sore. At least there were private baths two of the ryokan where we stayed, and I took advantage of them - hopefully not too gross for anyone. Yes, internal protection and vigorous scrubbing before jumping in.

I didn't write a journal this time. Kinda wished I did, but I just didn't have the motivation.

Now, here I am at 4:30 am, suffering from jet lag, having awakened at 2:00 am. I feel disoriented and anxious, and I really want to watch the movie Lost in Translation, as it mirrors my feelings right now.

Note for a future post - I got to a sewing shop and bought some authentic Japanese fabric! I'm so excited!!!

No comments: