Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Girlfriend Getaway


On Sunday I returned from my girlfriend getaway vacation with my east coast friend, AB. We had a very nice time touring Boston. On the first day we arrived and just hung out at the hotel. It was fairly late.

The second day we walked the entire Freedom Trail. We got the cancellation stamps in our National Parks Passports for every site that had one along the trail. We saw American historical sites. Lunch was at Quincy Market, and I enjoyed vegetarian Moussaka from a Greek food stall in the food court area. AB enjoyed Spanakopita. For dinner we indulged in some delicious Italian food in Boston's Little Italy at a place called G'Vanni's, (free plug!), where we befriended the couple at the table next to us, and we talked away the mealtime. The food was very good, and we totally enjoyed it. The day concluded with some decadent desserts from Mike's Pastry carried home to the hotel room. I chose a cannoli. Can't go wrong with that.

Day three was a trip out into the harbor to visit two islands, George's Island and Peddocks Island. Another perfect day for touring, with temps in the upper 70s and low humidity. We wandered around George's Island first, then had a picnic lunch...including a few Italian butter cookies from Mike's Pastry we'd bought the night before. Yum-o. Peddock's Island was a short ferry ride away, and we toured the defunct army fort with an enthusiastic ranger named Jude. After that hike, we took the ferry back to George's Island, then back the harbor.

Our hotel was a few blocks from China Town, so we had Asian food that last night. I had some good Massaman Curry after some fresh spring rolls for an appetizer. Another good night of sleep and we were back home on Sunday, which was day four.

Here are some nice things about this little vacation. The deal I got with the hotel room included buffet breakfast two of the three mornings; the hotel buffet was just awesome. The hotel itself was very good and it smelled delightful - kind of a white ginger/ honeysuckle/ lily of the valley scent, I would call it. It was close to everything we wanted to see. I found some fun things to buy in Boston, including some Christmas presents.

The picture at the top of this post was from Quincy Market! At the vendor cart called "Teeny Billboards", I bought the drawing from the vast selection of cartoon pictures depicting various family/friend groups. Some colors are already completed, and the artist adds your caption, your names (which I cropped out, for privacy purposes) hair color and skin color. I'm the blond. Too cute. The artist is Judy Truedson.

It is not straightforward to get to Boston from Kansas City and back, so I had stops and layovers. On Sunday morning, I went to the Boston airport early on Sunday to see AB off. This left me with nearly 4 hours before my flight. To fill the time, I indulged in a pedicure at the spa in the terminal which was so relaxing, and gave me metallic orange toenails. I completed my novel on my Amazon Kindle, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, and I got a lot of my applique project done. The layover in Milwaukee was almost 3 hours, and it turned out to be fortunate. A terrible thunderstorm rolled through while I waited. Would not want to be flying in *that* mess.

I need to post some updated pictures of my Aunt Millie's Garden (applique) project. It's coming along really nicely.

I should also post my impressions on the Kindle, too. So far, I like it. Maybe it will encourage me to read more.

Since I went right back to work on Monday, it has taken me most of today to get reestablished at home and feel relaxed from the trip. I'm so glad AB and I do this every year. It's so special, so unique, and always fun.

No comments: