Saturday, June 20, 2009

A trip to NYC

Funny. I grew up in the suburbs of New York City and moved away. For years I didn't go to New York, or I'd pop in once in a while, when I was visiting my parents, when they still lived up there in Bergen County, NJ. My parents moved. I got married (so visiting my male friend from college in NYC just didn't seem appropriate any more). No more New York.

Over the past 2 years I've gone 3 times as a tourist, staying in midtown Manhattan. I do so love that city. There's always something to see or do. 

The main purpose of the trip was to see a Japanese Anime exhibit and movie screening at the Japan Society of New York. 

While in Nw York, we enjoyed two theater productions (one on Broadway, one off Broadway), did some touristy things, saw a quilt exhibit at the American Folk Art Museum, and, as always, ate well. 

I had read about a lovely vegan place called Candle 79 in my Budget Travel magazine, so we decided to check it out. We discovered marvelous gourmet vegan food. So, so good! Thanks for the recommendation! For another meal, we ate at a French place near the hotel; and it was good enough to go back for breakfast the next day. We had the requisite New York City salted pretzel from a street vendor. We had adequate Italian food before one of the shows. 

On Saturday afternoon, I enjoyed guerrilla shopping at Century 21 downtown, and emerged with two designer purses.  I am not a huge "purse" person, but everyone had such stylish bags in New York City, I got swept up. I nabbed a $150 Tignanello for $90 in a pretty cafe-au-lait color, and a Kathy van Zeeland "Croc-n-Roll" in sky blue for $44. Both of the styles seem to be last years or something....no worries for me. In Kansas City they will look new and edgy!

The quilt exhibit was called Kaleidoscope Quilts by Paula Nadelstern, showcasing her unique fabric art style featuring meticulously pieced circular designs. Technically, they aren't circles, rather hexagons and octagons and decagons, like kaleidoscopes. Fascinating to look at but way too much work for a goof like me. I picked up a roll of 4 fat quarters of her designer fabric at the museum gift shop; good quality cotton with intriguing patterns. It should be delightful for applique - "like buttuh."

I have found that I need a trip or break in the routine about every 6 weeks. Otherwise, my OCD starts to make me miserable - caught up in my repetitive routine, spinning my wheels.  This was a nice break. Looking forward to the next one in July.

No comments: