Monday, July 4, 2011

Emerging from the pit

I'm posting from my parents home a few hours before I start my trip home. This was a difficult week - yeh, that's an understatement.

  • Quick travel plans
  • Putting together a memorial service and a reception
  • Stress, inability to sleep
  • Too hot, too cold in the hotel room
  • No appetite
  • Sorting through Mom's things
  • Taking things to charities for donation
  • Brother's birthday
  • Bad summer storms
  • Power outage
  • Getting locked out of the house and how we resolved that (breaking a window, yay)
  • Not being able to ship my stuff home
  • Worry that my flight may get delayed or canceled
  • Worry how the next few months will be
But...good things too. 
  • Husband supporting me in amazing ways
  • Pretty much all the relatives coming to the service.
  • Making it through the service and my part of the service.
  • Immediate family supporting each others' decisions.
  • Support from my church
Yes, it could have been a lot worse. It could get a lot worse, still, but so far so good.

After cleaning out Mom's house, I have the urge to clean out my own house. All kinds of stuff is tucked away in boxes and drawers and closets, and it would be nice to be a little lighter. I don't know when I'll be ready to work on my quilting and crafting again.

Yet, the house is not done. Some of us need to come back and sort through the china cabinet, storage closets, and the attic. I don't know when I'll come back. I want to be home. 

No comments: