Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Garden Progress

This weekend I was in a picture-taking mood, so here are some photos showing the progress of my humble square foot garden.
The string marks off the square feet. This picture shows a little more than half of the garden. You can see a cucumber sprout in the foreground, then basil to the left. There's Romaine lettuce to the left of that. The next row (right to left) has a Rutgers tomato, then two little soybean sprouts (trying some dwarf soybeans for homegrown edamame). and then a square of carrots. You can plant 16 carrots in one square! The last square in that row is onion, but you can only see the tops.

The following row is a Grape tomato, green leaf lettuce (Jericho), red leaf lettuce (Red Sails), and another square of carrots. The last row is more green leaf lettuce (though you can't really see that square), unplanted, curly parsley, and arugula. I'm planning to put marigolds in the unplanted square. It's nice to have some color in the garden.

So far I've harvested 5 servings of salad greens!
Here's an "art shot" of a cucumber sprout. This was only 1 week after planting the seed in the ground. Then it got cold, and everything kinda stopped.

And here is a closeup of my first few pea pods. I am hoping to harvest a few and eat them before we go away next week. I planted these babies back in March and it took til about 7 days ago to see any flowers. When we get back from vacation, I hope we will have lots of sweet peas to enjoy. 
It takes practice and trial and error to be a good vegetable gardener. I don't know much, but I keep trying things and seeing what works and what doesn't. I think the best decision I made was last year when I decided to dig out all the soil and replace it with the custom mix described in Mel Bartholomew's book Square Foot Gardening. Plants do better in a light friable soil mix. It drains better, and its so much easier to work with.  

No comments: