Saturday, May 7, 2011

Community Garden

Pea Sprout
In my humble blog, I will post a plug for a new community garden.  It may not make any difference, but then again, it might.

Overland Park, KS, where I live, is getting a community garden. For such a progressive community, it is surprising that there isn't one already. However we are a wealthy city, and we tend to think that everyone has a yard and can plant anything they want in their own little slice of heaven. Those that don't have a yard probably don't want to plant a garden - they can just go to our Farmer's Market to buy locally grown produce.

That's a rather shortsighted view, don't you think?

  • You mean not everyone's yard is suited to vegetable gardening? 
  • You mean some people don't have a yard?
  • You mean people in retirement communities or those without enough money to buy a house with a yard all don't want to garden?
  • You mean we don't have poverty here? We don't have people who could improve their food security by growing their own?
One of my friends has been working on this project for at least three years. The city council meeting which will approve it will be in about 1 week. They better approve it....

I have rented a space. As my readers (or, should I say, "reader," heh heh) know, I have my own Square Foot Garden in the backyard for my personal use. 

I am renting the community garden plot entirely for charity - my 4'x10' plot will be a project to grow fresh produce for donation. Our local community food bank, Harvesters, participates in the national movement called Plant a Row for the Hungry, and it accepts home grown produce. I am hoping to involve similarly-interested people from my church, but if no one signs up, I'll do it anyway.
I'm not sure what I will grow yet. Harvesters has a web page with suggestions. Because of the timeline of approval and access, it will be a short growing season, so I'm thinking quick growers:
  • Green beans
  • Peppers
  • Zucchini
  • Herbs - basil, parsley
The other reason I want to rent a plot is to help the garden succeed. In these initial years, it is important to demonstrate community interest and garden success.

So, here's my shout out to the Overland Park Community Garden. May it become a cornerstone of the community.

No comments: