Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What does a quilter do in Charlottesville, VA?

I visited some family in Charlottesville for the past 4 days. Naturally, as a quilter, I can't stay away from the fabric shops entirely, and indeed, I got a lot done on my Aunt Millie's Garden applique. I'm starting on block number 5, can you believe it?!?!

The main quilt shop in Charlottesville is called Cottonwood. It is located across Emmet St from Barracks Road shopping area, more towards the north end.

In a town where Talbot's clothing might be considered a little too edgy, Cottonwood toes the conservative line on traditional style quilts and fabrics. Their fabric selection is extensive, focusing on traditional colors and patterns. They have a small but well-chosen selection of children's prints.  Moda is well-represented in their collection. I was impressed by their tasteful Holiday selections for Christmas and Halloween, and they featured some nice fall themed bolts at the front of their store.

They connect to a Bernina store, and I assume that is where they hide the thread. I didn't see any in the main shop.... and I didn't venture to the Bernina side. Didn't want to risk being accosted by a lonely salesperson, then I'd be forced to confess I'm a Pfaff user.

Cottonwood offers a well-curated selection of patterns and books, including some fabric purses and non-quilt projects. They have a little, but well-stocked section containing wool for felting, hooking, and applique. Their notion section has the essentials, but it should be noted for the excellent selection of needles for hand work (betweens for quilting, applique needles, all in the better brands). There is a spacious room for classes in the back.

I've stopped in this shop on previous visits to Charlottesville. I like it, and you never know what you're going to find. One time I found an adorable purse pattern by Lazy Girl Designs, and I've made that purse three times already. (It's the Veronica Pocketbook.) This time, I bought two fat quarters of green to add to the greens in my applique. Additionally, I was intrigued a display they had including some Moda canvas fabric in black, gray, white, and chartreuse, accented in fuschia pink. I think this color combination might be  "the next big thing."


If I lived in C'ville, likely I wouldn't shop there exclusively, since it's not precisely in my taste. It's one of those quilt shops you count on being there - while you might not find the latest trend, you will be sure to find high quality fabric and something in every color. But you know, I bet you could put together a thoroughly modern color pallette / pattern grouping if you chose from among their collection with an innovative eye and unconventional spirit.

No comments: