Sunday, May 23, 2010

It's Easy Being Green

My previous post referred to our guild's challenge for the quilt show in October. Here are my first blocks:



They have been fun to make: no rules, no specific cutting or piecing. I just cut a bunch of strips and I throw them together within a few guidelines. I want one strip of the dark blue on each block. (It may not be easy to see in the pictures - one of the dark strips is a bit darker than the others.) Each block has an even number of strips, so one "end" has dark strip and the other has a light blue strip. The "background" (light) denim is the fabric from the two pairs of jeans I cut up. The medium-dark blue denim is left over from a dog bed I made a couple of years ago. The darkest blue is a remnant bin find. So far, I have 10 blocks.

I am loosely following a pattern from an instruction kit called Quilt It Kit. I received the kit as a gift a few years ago and I pull it out every so often when I need a little different kind of inspiration. The projects are very contemporary and simple, but they are well designed.

Sewing along merrily, I am running out of denim from my jeans. I could stop at a wall hanging or lap quilt, but I really want a throw or bed size quilt. The colors fit in my guest room nicely. We'll see. I could add plain blocks. I could add wide strips of solid denim. I could find some more jeans in a similar color to cut up. We'll see.

No comments: