Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Gift of Grace

Yesterday was the third Tuesday in a row when bad weather came in. Yesterday, we had freezing rain, high winds, culminated by snow starting late at night. I awoke this morning to about 1 inch of snow on the ground. Since I was scheduled to work, I needed to get up early, get through my yoga practice, and plan to leave early to compensate for the bad road conditions. Our street is completely covered with snow, although the main roads are likely to be cleaned up.

Then the phone rang. Very low census on the unit today, the overnight unit coordinator is canceling nurses. Would I like to be cancelled?

Would I!

Any excuse not to go out in that weather!

Oh, this has delighted me! I can finish cleaning the house today. I can work on my quilt! I can go to Christmas Eve services at church tonight!

And even better - last night I had been searching the American Patchwork and Quilting website for a copy of the pattern for the bed quilt I am working on. I had clipped the pattern from the magazine and brought it to work to show my friends my project. Yet, somehow I lost track of the pattern and it disappeared!

The American Patchwork and Quilting website (www.allpeoplequilt.com) had it! It took a lot of searching, and I ended up finding it under "Products" on BHG.com. They charged some money ($6 plus tax) for it, but at this point, after having completed all 80 blocks but still needing the directions for sashing and borders, of course I would pay for it.

Here is how you find a back issue pattern from APQ. Go to www.allpeoplequilt.com, click on "Printable Patterns," and then click on a pattern that you have to pay for. This will take you to the product area. (Don't worry, you're not buying the pattern you clicked on, just browsing) From here, you can search for another pattern. There may be a more direct way to get there, but this worked for me. I also knew the name of the pattern - I don't know how well the search works if you are trying to describe the quilt, only.

You'd think there'd be some instructions on the website. It's gotta be a common request.

I am still scheduled to work tomorrow and it is possible I'll be canceled again. I can hope, but it's OK if I do have to work after all. It's only a half day, and I'll earn a lot of money, anyway. I don't have anything else to do on Christmas this year. I will be making a difference to the patients who do have to stay tonight.

No comments: