Saturday, December 15, 2007

Quilt plan for 2008

I completed Adia's quilt and mailed it this week for her Christmas gift. I am pleased with how it turned out. Of course there are things I would have changed had I known how it would turn out. The main thing I am disappointed with is how the colors come together. They look good, but there is not a lot of contrast, except for the yellow. The yellow pops out too much, in my opinion. The binding didn't come out perfect, either. I used by 1/4 inch foot on the machine to sew it on and it resulted in a 1/4 inch seam. Not surprising....except that I'd used a binding strip that was wider than needed. The binding was uneven front to back.

I'm so picky.

I think Adia will like it.

Now, what to quilt for next year??? I have three ideas so far.

  1. Dexter's quilt

    I would like to make a quilt for my nephew Dexter. He will be 6 next year, the same age as Adia is this year. I haven't settled on a pattern yet. I have in mind making a denim quilt. Everyone who has ever had one (that I know) has loved their denim quilt. It's a boy/guy thing.


  2. Baby Quilt

    I have some friends that are trying to get pregnant. Assuming they succeed (I sure hope they do), I would like to present them with a quilt. It's such a nice and unique gift. And they're easy to finish, compared to a twin size quilt!


  3. My Quilt

    I started a pattern this year for a quilt for our bed. It is a log cabin block set in the star configuration, with sashing between. I saw the pattern in an American Patchwork and Quilting magazine several years ago and saved the pattern. It takes 80 blocks to make the queen size. I have 20 so far. I'm making it in red white and blue. Those colors imply that it is patriotic, and to some extent it is. It's not corny though.



January and February is a time of productive sewing for me. I hope I will get a lot done!

Other projects


I have been reading a lot lately about couture sewing and I have some projects in mind to make some clothes for me. I hope I have time to work on those projects. My interests are diverse. First of all, I am interested in sewing knits. I purchased some soft cotton jersey when I went to NYC in September and I would like to play with that. I have 3 yards. I might be able to get a dress out of it. I have patterns for knit tops and some exercise wear.

A recent Threads magazine had instructions for building a pattern from a favorite pair of pants. I would like to try this. I am ridiculously picky when it comes to pants and how they fit. When I find a pair I like, I wear them to threads. I have two such pair right now. It would be fun to try to make a duplicate.

I also have a pattern for a new tote bag. I would like to make a new tote for my supplies for work. I found some cute "nursing" pattern fabric last year and I would love to use it for such a tote.

Finally, I want to make some more scrubs. I have some fabric, and I modified a pattern to fit me nicely. I like the outcome. I would love to try some embellishment techniques on scrub tops. I have in mind some "Navaho patchwork" on pockets.

I feel so free now that Adia's quilt is done!!! Creativity flies!

No comments: