Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Follow up from January

So, 4 weeks after I came to see Dad through his surgery, I am back in central Virginia. In fact, it is currently my 3rd week here of 6. I'm on family medical leave from my job, and I am visiting Dad at the rehab hospital almost every day. We are taking the steps to move on.

This means:

  1. We are getting the house ready to sell.
  2. We have effectively taken over control of Dad's stuff - healthcare, money, assets, etc.
  3. Dad will likely move to Kansas City to be with me. He needs someone to look after him.  
It's sad and frustrating. This wasn't how it was "supposed" to go!!! But, life is what it is, and it's better to deal with what is, rather than deny reality and wish for something else. 

I brought my dog again. Just like last time, she was a pain to travel with, but having her here has been very good for me. She forces me to get out and exercise, and as a result of taking her on walks, I have met most of Dad's neighbors. This is all good because I don't feel so alone. 

I have been peeling wallpaper and scraping the walls. We have a painter lined up to do interior painting. I have arranged for some considerable landscape cleanup work to be done. The exterior of the house looks good, and I'm slowly making progress on decluttering the living spaces house.  Every week the trash bin is filled to the top!

And, I'm taking care of Dad. I'm making sure he's getting what he needs and keeping up on the little things, like giving him shaves, making sure he has enough clothes to wear, and keeping his mind active. He's lucky.

No comments: