Tuesday, January 29, 2013

But then it got interesting

Dad had his procedure but then had a complication from the surgery. A seizure. He had been waking up well after the surgery. His brain was irritated and let us know.

A phone call at 2:00am. Dad moved to the ICU. He stabilized and was moved to a step down unit. He stayed there for about 24 hours then moved to an acute care bed (a "regular" hospital bed).  Throughout this time, it was like he was asleep. He wouldn't open his eyes, but he would respond to questions, withdraw from pain, etc. Over the next few days his answers to questions got better, more correct. Tests showed he did not have a stroke that caused the seizure. As much as we know, we concluded that the brain irritation and a little bit of bleeding during the surgery caused the seizure.

Dad was supposed to stay over 1 night. I was only supposed to stay til Sunday. Now what?

My siblings stepped up. My brother is there now, and my sister comes next week. Then we will have to see what comes next.

My thoughts on the hospital:

  • They're taking very good care of him. 
  • I don't know how other families deal with such a crisis, especially if they aren't familiar with hospital procedures. The language, the concepts...it's very difficult. Add in emotional upset and stress and it's a disaster waiting to happen. It is so helpful I'm a nurse and I work in a hospital.
  • We're starting to become aware of the protocols that must be followed in order to make sure Medicare will pay for my father's care. A single misstep could cause them to deny. It's going to be such fun playing this game. 
  • My opinion of surgeons has not really been improved because of this experience. They aren't really accessible to the patient or family - too busy doing surgeries to deal with the day to day care of the patients who have complications from their surgeries. I think they might need to partner with another team that take over once the surgery is done.
I brought my little dog Trixie with me. It was so good to have a "therapy" dog with me! My sweet baby to come home to, take for walks, snuggle, and pet.

Traveling with the little dog was a bit of challenge. Trixie did not like being confined in the carrier and put under an airline seat. She whined and fussed, bit and dug at the carrier. On the trip home, she figured out how to open the carrier and nearly escape, the little stinker.

I'm going to have to think long and hard about taking her with me again. The visit was stressful enough without having to deal with a fussy dog.



No comments: