Saturday, March 16, 2013

Family Lore

Every family has their little legends and inside jokes. Usually they're totally goofy and people outside the family, like spouses, think you are completely nuts. Here's one I had almost forgotten about! I remembered the saying but couldn't remember the source.


This is from The Peanuts Lunchbag Cookbook. I bought it at a book fair in grade school in the 1970s. Peanuts comics were very popular back then.

My sister and I use the phrase "I think I'll flap my arms and fly to the moon" whenever we are making statements that seem ambitious and pleasant, but are impractical or impossible. Example:
You know, if I tried hard enough and trained, I could run a marathon.
Yeah. I think I'll flap my arms and fly to the moon.
I found the little book while cleaning out my parents' house, and I have to keep it. There are some other sarcastic gems in the book...this is one reason why my sense of humor is as warped as it is.

No comments: