Friday, December 31, 2010

The Promised Doll Clothes

My niece adored her doll clothes! I'm thrilled!

These items were made from pattern McCall's 5775.
Here are the pictures:

This fancy top is made from 100% cotton fabric . The pattern offered the same design in two lengths and this is the longer length - it falls to about knee length on the doll. I added the fancy ribbon on the bottom. 

These outfits were difficult to photograph! The tops are navy blue t-shirts onto which I applied the adorable Hello Kitty appliques. I purchased these appliques on our trip to Japan - too cute to pass up!  Like many doll t-shirts, they open in the back and close with Velcro. The leggings are a simple two-piece pattern with elastic at the top. Both are made from knit fabric; and surprisingly, I did not have much trouble working with the knit fabric. The cotton jersey for the t-shirts did roll a bit, but it ironed flat long enough to be worked.

My niece has two American Girl Dolls. Now they have matching trench coats! I found a yard of this teal microsuede in the remnant bin, just perfect for a leather look. These coats were not particularly difficult, but there were lots of pieces! The pattern had it styled with 3/4 length sleeves, but I lengthened them. Snap closure underneath the buttons.


And finally, another little party outfit. The top is the short version of the polka dot top above. The slacks are simple pull on slacks with a flat front and elastic in the back. Both made of cotton. I added the fancy trim along the bottom hem. 

In making these clothes, I got much better at set-in sleeves. It was fun to embellish the clothes, and in my opinion, Hobby Lobby has the best assortment of ribbon and trim of all the local stores. Better prices, too. 

The above outfit and the polka dot top were made from cotton fabric from my quilting stash. 

In addition, I bought two pairs of Ugg-like boots for the dolls, at JoAnn's.

Onward to 2011!  Many more projects await!

No comments: