Saturday, May 9, 2009

Scrapbooking

I have begun the process to create a scrapbook of the pictures from our trip to Japan last October.

I have a love-hate relationship with scrapbooking. I like the results. I like neatness and organization of a scrapbook, rather than photos and mementos thrown lovingly but carelessly in a box somewhere. It's a creative activity and there are, oh, so many pretty shiny toys, gadgets, and tools you can use!

Or, should I say "buy."

Scrapbook pages are pretty. Colorful! And you get to do all those things we used to do in grade school art class - cut with scissors, glue, glue on mixed media elements, etc.

For the other side of the love-hate seesaw - I dislike how many gadgets you "need" to do a nice scrapbook. It's overwhelming! Since I don't have much experience with scrapbooking, I don't have clear vision for how to build the scrapbook. This means I don't know what tools, papers, glues, tapes, or embellishments I really need. I don't know what all is out there, and I don't know how to incorporate these elements into designs.

Worst of all, scrapbooking seems to stimulate obsessive compulsive in me. I try so hard not to fall into the pit of OCD, but scrapbooking seems to be my Scylla and Charybdis. Last week, I went to Michael's or Joann's every day I was off....at least once.

I went into the local Hobby Lobby earlier this week, and I swear I got light-headed browsing the 7 aisles of supplies.

Oh, and they don't play fair....sales; 40% off coupons; pretty displays; Martha Stewart's there too. In the face of such temptation when I have a legitimate project, I am weak.

In this project I've given in somewhat. I've bought "cardstock." I have about 8 pens. Just last week, I purchased - get this - brads. I found a book on scrapbooking called (Scrapbooking Made Easy). Easy; I like that. And, indeed, the book has provided ideas for focusing the scrapbook effectively, using color wisely, and using embellishments without having the page look like the trim section at Joann's threw up all over the page.

Believe it or not, more is not always better.

Once I went to a presentation on scrapbooking and I was liberated to learn that attractive pages are possible without having fancy cutters, pens, or embellishment. I have tried to follow that principle. I don't really need to get immersed in another hobby - quilting and sewing is plenty!!

The other frustration I have with scrapbooking is how long it takes. I have been working on this scrapbook for 3 weeks now, and I'm building the scrapbook in chronological order. I am up to day 4 of our 14 day trip.

Sigh. It's gonna take a while.

My attitude is this: who cares. I want a scrapbook, I don't care how long it takes to make it, or how huge the books become, or how many pictures will be in it. A trip such as this is a perfect reason to build one. Just so long as the OCD keeps in check. Lord, I can't start calling in "sick" to work so I can scrapbook!!

No comments: