Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Wedding

I have been blessed to be invited to weddings through the years. Sometimes its a close friend, other times I am invited for other reasons. I am so honored when someone wants me to be a part of their special day.

Last weekend I was invited to the wedding of a friend's daughter. I had never met S, the bride, or N, the groom, but the event was special to me. I had not seen my friend, M, in about 2 and a half years. M was in my nursing school class at Duke. We accompanied each other on a life-changing transition, from IT professional to nurse.

The wedding was delightful. Of course the bride was beautiful, the groom was dashing, love was in the air. The guests were handsome and friendly, and we socialized merrily with them. I got to talk with M a few times - it was so nice to see an "old" friend! I still feel very "new" here in Kansas City and I miss the comfort of familiarity and intimacy (places, friends, routines). They had vegetarian selections on the buffet at the reception - joy! I even got to dance with M.

My husband and I stayed in a disastrous hotel room with a drippy bathroom ceiling and a locked door that could not be opened with our room key or the manager's override key. Roadwork had us wandering through unknown neighborhoods, stymied by one-way streets and no-turn signs. We got lost again and again, despite the help of a Garmin Nuvi navigation system. Just try telling Nuvi that I-64 is closed, so we can't go that way. It had no idea what to do about it so it get directing us back to I-64. Oh, it was a terrible trip , but the event made it all worthwhile.

On Sunday morning, we went up in the St. Louis arch and walked around the tourist area of downtown. We ate out and enjoyed the city so much we resolved to come for a long weekend mini vacation some time. I got another cancellation-stamp for my Passport to National Parks book. What a fun little hobby.

Now we are home, eagerly anticipating our big trip to Japan. Let us hope for smoother travels.

I hope to post/blog about the trip. We'll see how the timing goes. You may not hear from me for a while.

No comments: