Monday, May 19, 2008

Vacation

Last weekend I went on a little trip to Orlando Florida, to DisneyWorld. Seems rather odd that we'd go just for a weekend, but we're unattached, so why not?

My husband went for a collectors show. I had been to that show before, and I didn't want to go again. So, I enjoyed the time to myself. I spent it as follows:

  1. Napping

  2. Renting a little speedboat for about an hour

  3. Enjoying a 4-hour treatment package at the Spa at the Grand Floridian

  4. Watching the fireworks at EPCOT from the balcony of the hotel


Sweet.

We belong to the Disney Vacation Club, and our home resort is Disney's Boardwalk. An excellent choice! At the time we joined, there were only 2 vacation club resorts in Orlando. Now there are 6. We got into one of the best ones, in my opinion. We joined at a great time - when it was just taking off. This time we had a boardwalk view villa that was just wonderful.

We go to Disney about once a year. It was easier when we lived in North Carolina - the flight was about an hour and a half. It's still not all that long from Kansas City, a little under 3 hours. Many times we stay at the Boardwalk, but we have stayed elsewhere from time to time - Wilderness Lodge, the Polynesian, Coronado Springs, All-Star Music (although that was before we joined the club). The Boardwalk is nice because it is an upscale hotel and it's located within walking distance to EPCOT. The Boardwalk amenities are just a short walk away - shops, entertainment, nice restaurants. It has all the amenities I want from day to day, and it has transportation for all the other amenities (like the spa or shopping).

I like going to the spa on vacation. It makes me feel pampered and beautiful. This time was especially nice - the treatment included a sugar scrub, a reflexology massage, and a facial. The facial was one of the best facials I've ever had! No high-pressure sales and no insulting aesthetician. I feel detoxified and purified.

Disney itself is a rather weird place when you don't have kids. No one quite knows what to make of you when you're too old to be a newlywed, but too young to be a grandparent. Why would you want to come to such a kiddie place? Well, simple. We don't do the kiddie things when we're there.

Well, maybe a few. We do go to the parks, usually skipping the Magic Kingdom, and we do ride some of the rides. We do the more adult things, like listen to the performances, watch the shows, sit in for special event lectures, have relaxed meals at the finer restaurants, take tours, and of course, visit the spa. Disney can be a good place for adults, too, you just need to look outside the usual.

Honestly, though, the cheery message "You can be anything you want to be, if you just dream!!" and "Wish hard enough and wishes come true!" gets to me after a while. I also get fed up with the pushy people (a.k.a. New Yorkers and New Jerseyites, who swarm there) who think that they are privileged or entitled because they are pushing a baby stroller. Or because they are staying at the expensive resort (so what...we are too.) For the most part, though, people behave themselves.

It's hard to get back to reality, now that I'm home. I'm certainly glad I took today off to recoup. I came home to a neatly mowed lawn, thanks to a neighborhood kid, and a vegetable garden that's really taking off. It is finally warm here! The gray cloud of winter is lifting, and I am joyous.

No comments: