Friday, April 18, 2008

Potpourri

I don't have a pressing issue today. I will write about a few things.

Sewing


I am sewing a dress in a knit fabric. I'm obsessed with nice knit fabrics lately and I don't know why. I have little experience sewing knits and I find the challenge intriguing. Knits are in, and hot this year. I bought this fabric in New York City in the Fashion District when I was there about 2 weeks ago. It was only $5 a yard and it's got a nice weight and drape to it, however it's not really exotic in appearance. It's navy blue. I also bought some chocolate brown, and a fun abstract print with Asian people on busses in a city-like scene. That fabric is in blues, blacks and reds with a silver accent color adhered on.

I don't know the finer points of fabric manufacturing. It looks like the silver is glued on the surface.

All of this fabric was $5 a yard and it's such superior quality to what you can find here in Kansas City at the chain fabric stores. There are some nice garment fabric stores in town but they naturally charge a lot money for their wares. I can't blame them. In New York, since it's the Fashion DIstrict, there are dozens of little shops jammed to the ceiling with all kinds of fabrics and trims. I guess it's for the students and designers.

I also bought some suiting for a nice pair of pants. That was $12/yard. Still cheap.

Quilting


I've been puttering with a few projects. I've resumed some work on a hand-quilted piece for my mom - been working on this piece for 7 years now. For God's sake!! I should have it done, but I've lost interest to some extent. It's really pretty - a lap quilt or wall hanging in roses and navy blue with a butterfly motif. I should finish it....that's why I bring it to the quilting bee.

Another project is a simple quilted wall-hanging that I purchased at the BVQG garage sale last year. It's called "Cherries Jubilee" and it's a panel with some attractive country designs including hearts, birds, and of course, cherries. The colors are dark red, black, green and gold-beige. It's simple because it's mainly a panel - just a pieced-on border. I am quilting it on the machine in free-motion for practice, merely outlining the designs to give the look of applique. I will choose some kind of motif for the backgrounds and such. I have been using monofilament thread for an invisible look.

And about once a week, I've been putting together a pair of blocks for the log cabin quilt for my bed. I have 36 blocks now. I need 80.

Work


What was I thinking? A coworker asked me to complete her shift today - she wanted to leave early for some personal commitment. It's only 3-7, sure why not? Well, then, the unit educator said, why don't I come in early for a meeting on the computer system? Now I'm working 1:30 - 7.

I want to be involved. I want to succeed. My ego jumps in and says yes.

But, I really want a break today. Instead I'll work some. I want to go to yoga too, though!! I haven't been in weeks.

Garden


In theory, we have past the last freeze date for our zone. I have planted seeds in the garden - the early vegetables such as onions, carrots, radishes, and lettuce. I should plant more today or tomorrow. But I won't put out any warm weather plants for another 2-4 weeks at least. It can freeze late here.

The lawn needed mowing badly- I made a first attempt on Tuesday. It was so tall, the mower could barely handle it - I knew this would be the case, though. The spots where the dogs poop all winter was uber-fertilized and the grass was lush, thick, emerald green, and about 8 inches long. I did a terrible job mowing it just because it was so long. It needs another pass. Thankfully, it's raining today, and I have an excuse for ignoring it.

The fence will be replaced soon. The gutters did get cleaned out.

Home


I feel so behind in my home maintenance work. The project in the basement is in disarray. The house really needs a good cleaning - the bathrooms are due, and the kitty litterbox needs a complete clean out (yes, I've been scooping it). The dogs need washed. The floor needs vacuuming badly.

A messy house makes me feel unsettled. I like being in a cozy, organized place. However, it is only of value to me. Kevin doesn't care about a clean house at all, so I do it mainly for me.

I love me, so I try to take care of myself.

No comments: