Sunday, April 7, 2013

When a Loved One is in a Rehab Hospital: Part 3

Useful Things

As I've mentioned in previous posts, Rehab Hospitals have the basics, but there are some extra things I found particularly useful when coordinating Dad's care.

Whiteboard
Yes, the facility already had a whiteboard in each room! In my Dad's room it was located nowhere convenient, there was no pen, and no one looked at it.

I bought a whiteboard decal at Staples (here's the one I bought). Cool - I didn't have to do anything to the wall to put it up! I stuck it on the bathroom door in Dad's room because it was right opposite the head of his bed. He could see it easily and the staff could see it easily.

I bought a dry-erase pen and some stick-on Velcro. I stuck a strip of the loop part of the Velcro on the bottom of the whiteboard and stuck a strip of the hook part on the pen. Voila! Instant communication system.

I used paper towels to wipe it off. And you know what? Alcohol foam makes a great whiteboard cleaner. How convenient!

Sometimes I wrote inspirational or funny quotes, Bible verses, and jokes on the whiteboard. Sometimes I wrote reminders for Dad (e.g. "3 days til the Baseball Game!"). Sometimes I wrote requests or general information to the staff:
  • Please have Dad ready for his doctor's appointment tomorrow by 8:30 am. Thanks!
  • Dad could use a haircut - can you schedule that with the salon?
  • Dad's laundry needs to be done. He needs clean clothes for the weekend.
  • Visiting with family in the Dogwood room (2:00pm)
When I had Dad out of the facility (e.g. attending the doctor's appointment) I'd write something like:
9:00am: took Dad to doctor's appt. Should be back around 10:30. My cell number: Lauren, Mr. N's daughter.
I signed those notes so they knew whom Dad was with. You never know if the nurse on duty that day is brand new and doesn't know you.

The staff commented a couple of times to me that they loved my white board decal. It really helped them remember to do certain things for Dad.

The Visit Bag
I kept a tote bag ready with stuff I frequently brought for Dad, and every time I went to the facility, I brought the bag. At home if I thought of something I needed to bring or if some mail came for Dad, I just put in the in the bag right then. Then, as I was leaving to visit Dad, I didn't have to think about what I had to remember to bring.

Some examples in our bag: the book we were reading, the newspaper, the shaving kit (in a separate smaller Dopp kit bag - I didn't need it every time), and ointment I was applying daily.

Stuff to Do on My Own
Sometimes when I visited, Dad was busy with therapy. Sometimes the aide was cleaning him up and dressing him. Sometimes, he was in the bathroom (which takes a long time when you aren't very mobile). I tried to have something pleasant to keep me busy while waiting on Dad. I figured I might as well enjoy myself while waiting, otherwise, I might get mad about "wasting my time."

Mostly I checked email or played games on my iPhone.

iPhone
More about the iPhone: specifically, the camera on the iPhone.

Other family members enjoyed seeing picture of Dad (on Facebook or sent via email). They wanted to know how he was doing and a picture really helps. I also humbly suggest that they liked seeing a few pictures of me with Dad and Dad with Trixie (my pup).
We have the technology, so why not?

I could also show pictures to Dad on the iPhone. I took some shots of my dog throughout my stay, so I'd share the latest Trixie picture with Dad, when I had a new one. Or the house with the huge snowfall on it! He really enjoyed that.



What other useful things do you bring when you visit?

No comments: