Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My Stephen Minister

A Stephen Minister from my church is helping me get through all the emotional turmoil of losing my Mom about 6 months ago. She helps me a lot, and most of the time we don't really talk about mourning or sadness or how I miss my mom. But having that support, having someone to talk to about the times when little things make me think of Mom, is really helpful. 

I am doing well with my grieving, and I probably won't need a Stephen Minister any more in the near future. I want to get through the holidays with her available, and see how that goes. 

Last time we met, we talked about closing the official Stephen Ministry relationship. We both expressed that we'd like to be friends afterwards. That's nice, and I'm pleased. Then she said something that struck me as odd: one reason she enjoys me is because I speak with a big vocabulary. 

Hm.

I have never thought of myself as having a big vocabulary. At least not in that way....I don't know. I try hard not to sound pretentious or stuck up by using words to impress or confuse, but the fact is, I know words and I like to use them whenever appropriate. My main goal is to communicate clearly. 

I guess the comment just made me think. I like being thought of as having a big vocabulary. 

No comments: