Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas 2011

Watching football on Christmas with Dad.

Last night we went to our church. I played with my informal clarinet quartet as the prelude. We played three settings of Christmas songs I found at sheetmusicplus.com. There's not much out there for clarinet quartet for Christmas. Guess I'd better try writing something - setting some carols or something like that. Nevertheless, when the music is written for clarinet quartet, it sounds better than a transposition of a quartet for some other grouping of instruments.

The service was very nice, but lasted longer than I would have liked. Since I was playing in the quartet and singing in the choir, I got there at about 9:45, and we left at almost 12:30.  That's a long time.

In the morning we had a nice breakfast and then went to mass with Dad; he's Catholic, I am not. I don't mind going to mass every once in a while. It's very similar to the protestant Christian denominations, with more ceremony, accoutrements, and memorized sections than I am used to. The mass lasted longer than I would have liked. The archbishop celebrated mass with the church we chose, and certainly that contributed to the length of the service and the large crowd. (Since I'm not a Catholic and I don't know the Catholic churches around here, I found the church via Google Maps, searching close to my house. Hey, whatever works.) Incidentally, the church website did not mention the archbishop presiding.

Big church. Kansas is really good at growing large churches; everyone seems to go to church, here.

Dinner consisted of homemade spanakopita, carrot and raisin salad, and a dinner roll. For a beverage, I bought a bottle of Cava, a sparkling wine from Spain - it was very good. I keep hearing about it on The Splendid Table and elsewhere; I had to give it a try. I purchased Poema Extra Dry at the recommendation of the salesperson at my local liquor emporium. Pretty good - I'm now a fan! I think it ran around $13.

Dessert was my favorite Christmas cookies: Toffee squares and Date Nut Pinwheels (recipes from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book).

Good food. nice weather, a little bit of God...all in all a good Christmas.

No comments: