Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ROAD TRIP!

It's quilt bee day! Today we're going on a road trip to a shop in Lee's Summit, called Quilter's Station. They recently moved and have a new shop. It'll be fun to see it, and of course, shop.

I hope to look for some fabric to complement my NC State fabric, which I purchased for a quilt for a good friend who (of course) went to NC State. It will be her Christmas present. I really should get started soon, since I only have 9 months!

I also hope they have some clearance fabric that will make nice scrub caps.

And books or magazines. I could use some inspiration.

It'll be fun to be out with my friends. The weather is beautiful today.

Work Update

I haven't written about my job lately - mainly because I'm letting it percolate in my mind. I did the two shadowing engagements I mentioned earlier, but I haven't made up my mind. Dang it, despite my recent difficulties on the job, I still generally like the place. And, despite the fact that my good friends at the job are leaving, I still like (most of) the people. I still really like hearts/cardiology.

The GI lab was most compelling. There, you get to be a procedural nurse, which is similar to what I wanted to do with the cath lab. You also get to do prep and recovery, so you get the people interaction. You have fewer banalities to deal with because patients are in and out in 2-4 hours, not 8-10 hour or longer. No pooping and only a little peeing to worry about. No meals. Less life threatening complications.

Most appealing: I would learn something new.

The only thing is, I'm not sure I like GI stuff. During my shadowing, I saw my first endoscopy, colonoscopy, and bronchoscopy. It was OK, but not as compelling to me as blood and hearts. I didn't like how uncomfortable the patients are during the procedures, even though they are sedated and given local anesthetics.

I'm pretty sure I'd get used to that, though. At first, it used to bother me how some folks would moan in pain when we held pressure on the groin after cardiac cath. Not so much any more - I mean, I am sympathetic to it, but it doesn't make me feel bad personally any more.

(Well, every once in a while it does, but those are the rare cases)

Another complication is that I'm doing a study in my current job and it's not done yet. People are somewhat excited about it and I'd like to finish it. I have a chance to influence nursing practice on my unit, and possibly the whole hospital.

Being committed to a current project has gotten me in trouble before in my "terrific company" and spin-off experience.

What is the right thing? Is it cold feet at the thought of change? Or is it really time to move on?

And I so want to be recruited. No one recruits in nursing. Why not??? The best nurses, the best team players, the best employees should enjoy recognition, higher pay, prime assignments, and influence, even if they remain at the bedside.

I will always be influenced by my previous experience in the software business. Recruiting is so much a part of the culture there. I wonder what it would do to the healthcare culture if we changed to a more free market approach? Especially in the context of the new healthcare reform in America.

No comments: