Monday, April 13, 2009

Hats, hats, hats

Me and my bright ideas....

I am working on a fund raiser that I organized to make scrub caps for OR personnel at the hospital. It's our unit's fund raiser for the 2009 Heart Walk on May 30.

I thought it would be nice to make about 50 caps, sell a few to our colleagues in the cath lab and EP lab, have a sales table by the cafeteria to sell the rest.

These crazy things are flying out as fast as I can make them!  

There are only 2 sewers: myself and another nurse. The caps come in 2 styles: skull cap and bouffant type. The girls tend to like the bouffants; the boys like the skull caps. 

We make them in fabric for the University we are affiliated with, fun prints, a few solid colors, and a few special orders (e.g. the LA Lakers - and we're in the midwest!).

We've sold 49 so far. Now we're trying to build some inventory for the sale. I must have made a good 30 caps by now. Guess what I'm doing on my day off tomorrow?

Really, though, it's terrific. We ought to make upwards of $700 for the American Heart Association.  It has been a great idea!

What the project truly needed, however, was a committed, organized leader. I am that person, not just half of the production committee. I am getting some personal satisfaction from seeing my handiwork worn in the labs. Way cool.

No comments: