Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Roller Coaster of Starting a Business

Starting a small business was thrilling for the last week and a half. Now I'm coming back down to reality. When will something happen? What's next? Gosh, this is hard!!


Networking - Up

I have heard the refrain over and over that networking is the life-blood of small business. I am seriously trying and to commend myself, I have made some good strides. Here are my accomplishments:
  • Lunch with colleague from church, which led to....
  • Networking meeting for professionals who work with the aging population, which led to....
  • Contact with a financial advisor for seniors, which led to...
  • Invitation to join a networking group
  • Two meetings with possible business contacts
  • Meet ups with friends and acquaintances, some more distant than others. 
  • Three upcoming meetings with contacts/colleagues, etc. 
  • Registration for a highly relevant conference in my region.
Networking is challenging for an introvert like me. I am trying to be easy on myself and not beat myself up too much with "should have" or "ought to" but it's hard. I am not opposed to contacting people, but it's not my natural way to work. If all things are equal, I'll choose the task that involves solitary work over calling someone. 

I need to make some goals and use those weekly (or even daily goals) as my motivator. 


Leads - Neutral, Slightly Down

I got a new lead for a potential client. One of my previous leads is no longer viable since the potential client passed away. That was depressing at several levels. 

Now I have 3 leads and one is looking pretty good. I need to reach out to the third lead, but since it's for someone with whom I used to work, I wanted to give it a little time. 

The first lead is in progress - meaning, I'm developing that lead...I guess....I'm new to the marketing lingo. 


Resources - Up

I'm learning about business, too. There are countless books on business processes, techniques, philosophies, etc. and I've gotten into a few of them. Here's what I've worked on so far:

Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
The phrase "eat that frog" is an eye catcher and a metaphor - who on earth wants to eat a (presumably live) frog? Bleh. The frog you "need to eat" is a task you really need to do, but you keep putting it off. The idea is that you'll feel better and be more successful if you get it done and check it off your list. While I didn't find any concepts or approaches radically different from what I already knew about time management, it was an easy, entertaining, and fast read. It's so easy to slip into bad habits even when you know better. I definitely think it was a worthwhile read, and I do expect to re-read it periodically as a refresher. 
The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
This book describes a system to achieve big goals while still dealing with the whirlwind of everyday activity in a business. It's somewhat targeted towards larger companies, but one can use the principles at all levels. It was a good an inspirational read - although, I don't even have a whirlwind to break through, yet!
This is a blog (and a book ) about networking as a way to advance your career and find your next dream job. Since I am not a natural networker, I will be taking some of the author's tips and techniques to heart and using them almost verbatim. The author had a goal of 15 networking events/appointments/interactions per workweek - which would result in coffee, lunch, and coffee with someone every day, Monday through Friday. Whoa...that's an overwhelming number for me! but I could commit to a smaller number, like...say.... 5. Or maybe start with 3 and work up to 5.
I wonder what my goals should be for blog posts. I enjoy writing them and it helps me think things through. 2 per week?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are quite right. Networking can give new business owners a way to help their small business grow. I'm glad you are pursuing this strategy. As for being an introvert, think of it as a challenge. Who knows, you could outgrow it by doing this. Not only will your business grow, but you along with it. Good luck!

Ella Williams @ BNI London

Lauren said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Ella!