Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Guild day for July

Today was guild day, and it was such fun. The reason it was fun was that I gave of myself and it was received well.

This year, I'm chair of the Charity committee. We make quilts for clients of a shelter for victims of domestic violence. We have an extensive and overwhelming stash of fabric. My instinct is to try to organize it, but it's really too large to organize before moving forward. Organizing will come in steps as we do more projects.

The committee came over a week ago and we put together kits for guild members to take and make. Kits are much more fun, and much less intimidating than a whole pile of fabric. We have block kits and top kits and quilting kits and binding kits. Something for everyone.

At the meetings, Charity Quilts usually sets up a table with displays and projects. I worked very hard on this display yesterday and it came out quite nice. I used one of those tri-fold displays boards you can buy at Wal*Mart and used some scrapbooking techniques and materials to create an overview of the committee and the projects. Color, organized display, a touch of design: it all worked. People are getting interested.

I got lots of positive feedback from members. They respond to the positive energy.

The other major activity at the July meeting is the garage sale. I got rid of several things and I picked up a few bargains. I had the top bid on a Thimbleberries quilt kit called Snow Garden Wall Quilt, which someone had bought and then decided not to make. Only $10!

Another find was a pattern for a kimono by Folkwear. Check out that site - a very different collection of patterns. You don't find them every day.

No comments: